Sunday, December 5, 2010

"Me and Miss Mandible" Donald Barthalme

     Miss Mandible stands out in my mind because I experienced some hardships in my life at ten years old.  I know that a large part of my being remained 10 years old as I grew older.  The main character is in a fantastical place where he was allowed to return to the sixth grade with the mind of a 35 year old.  My memories of sixth grade center around liking girls for the first time, I had no idea what sex was but I knew that some of the girls in my school were attractive.
     The main character is in his thirties and has served in the Army.  I am the same in those respects.  99% of the Army was a big fat waste of my time and talents.  The quote about the Army being a waste of time and the fact that it took him a long time to figure out what a waste it was is totally accurate.  After basic training I realized I had signed up to waste 5 years of my life, and I hated myself for that.
    Miss Mandible is a difficult read because his actual circumstances in class aren't told.  I believe he was in a class of adults but the sexual tension and the long time it had been since he sat in a classroom made him think of sixth grade.

No comments:

Post a Comment